12.01.2009

Try something new...

you never know how wonderful something may turn out if you never try, right?! :) Well, I had a great time being a guest designer for Limelight Papercrafts during November and I wanted to create at least one more project featuring some of the great products Limelight carries.

So lately I have been really inspired by mixed media projects, especially by Donna Downey and some of the fabulous collages/mixed media art I have seen on Etsy. I just love the texture and dimension these artists create. And I said to myself...I can do that, right? I am a big believer in the importance of believing in yourself and stepping outside your box to give new things a try, so here is my mixed media project...(remember it is a first for me)

I am so happy with how it turned out! First I began by painting a canvas with Wed Wagon Shimmerz, so there is a nice little sparkle to the picture when you see it up close. Then I wanted to give it some texture, so I got out my Unity Distressed Dots background stamp (LOVE this stamp!) and just started stamping all over the canvas while the Shimmerz was still wet. Now, I don't know if it is really a good idea to run your stamps through Shimmerz but Unity stamps are such good quality I figured I would give it a shot and it seems to be okay so far. :)

Then I knew I wanted to use more of my yummy Cosmo Cricket Nutmeg paper but I wasn't sure what design or picture I was going to create. At first my plan was to do a tree but then I remembered a beautiful picture I had seen on Etsy and decided to try something similar. HERE is my inspiration. For my flower, I made my petals much more uniform...it was really easy to take scrap pieces of paper and just punch out half circles. Then I rolled up a woodgrain patterned paper to create my stem and add dimension. And voila! My first mixed media project!


I was thinking about stamping this Unity quote in the bottom right corner but once I finished the flower I was worried that if I didn't stamp it perfectly, the whole thing would be ruined. I'm not sure what I am going to do with this picture yet...maybe save it for my dream craft room? :)

A big thank you to Mandy and the Limelight Team for letting me join them this past month...I had a blast!

4 comments:

Katy said...

This is an awesome creation -- I love it!

de said...

This is amazing Kerry! I may have to take this idea and run with it! LOVE IT!

Mandy said...

No, Kerry! Thanks to YOU!!! You have been the BEST guest designer! This card is absolutely amazing, by the way! :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I love mixed media art as well. It's so fun to se what people do with such an open outlet :)